Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012 Autocross Prep
Smike
Stage 4
Post 2012 Autocross Prep
on: January 5, 2012, 10:45

It's cold. It's snowing. Roads have way too much salt on them. And the 2012 season is too far away. Good time to start prepping for racing.

Last season I spent most of it setting up the suspension and brakes. Burned though the OEM Pzero tires (255/40R19) and ran end of the season on Conti DW.

Tread comparisons:

Both the Pzero and DW were great tires with very good street manners. Pzero had traction until the end of their tread life (worn to overlay). Given, the wet traction dropped off after 75% of life. I tend to worry less about mileage for my performance tires. The Pzero set lasted about 17k. Ran handful of autocross events and one pseudo autocross / track event (non-SCCA AX using road course) on the Conti DW tires. Worked very well for not being completely dedicated for that use; however, for national level events - I'll need more tire.

For SCCA National events, enter Goodyear Supercar G:2 in 265/40R19. Which happens to be the OEM fitment on the SVT Mustang. The G2 was developed for the C6 Z06 Corvette originally. More-or-less, its a race-like compound with a scant 8/32nds of tread depth. SCCA STX class limits me to 265 section width and 9in wide wheel and 7/32nds starting tread.

This tire fits the bill.

Teaser picture:

SC_Kona_Bl-
ue
Administrator
Post Re: 2012 Autocross Prep
on: January 10, 2012, 08:23

Oh that G2 is a nice tire. What is the tread rating?

- If you like an article, click it!

Smike
Stage 4
on: January 10, 2012, 10:49

220 tread rated. I expect about 10k of life out of them with AX use.

Smike
Stage 4
on: February 25, 2012, 10:55

Scaled the car this week. Car is ready. Now if this snow just stops.

Smike
Stage 4
on: February 25, 2012, 10:56

GT 19in wheels will be used for the G2s:

twinsemi
Stage 2
on: February 27, 2012, 10:35

Are you considering relocating the battery to the spare tire well? Other than the hassle of having to R&R a bunch of the interior and adapt a battery box to the space, it looks like a cheap way to bump your weight dist from 54/46 to 53/47. Since I have not bumped mine up to STX from DS, I can't do it yet, but isn't that OK by STX rules?

Smike
Stage 4
on: February 27, 2012, 16:38

Don't this it is. Street Tire is a very light mod class. For NASA, I'd have to certify the battery. Not really worth the effort. And remember, that is 1/4 tank of fuel. Add more and it will be more even front to rear with the weight of the gas.

twinsemi
Stage 2
on: February 28, 2012, 09:21

From the 2012 rules for ST:
"Relocation of the battery or batteries is permitted but not into the passenger compartment. . . Holes may be drilled for mounting or passage of cables. . . Longer cables may be substituted to permit relocation. . . The area behind the rearmost seat is not considered to be within the passenger compartment."
An Optima under the trunk panel could be very tidy, since a side terminal group 78 should fit without having to make a bump in the trunk mat.

Smike
Stage 4
on: February 29, 2012, 06:55

That's SCCA. I also run with NASA (yeah, its less fun having to work in 2 rulebooks). I'd have to use a marine tub for it. Effort for minimal gains (if any); not worth it.

Ford did good by having the battery on the passenger side.

What I could do is tweak the suspension setup with me (or someone my actual weight in the car). Not really going to bother though. I am in a lot of cars; most of the time I can't adjust/change...you learn to drive what you have to 11/10ths.

twinsemi
Stage 2
on: March 1, 2012, 10:32

I think my head would explode if I tried to set up a car for two different rule sets. Good luck.

Pages: [1]

Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.473 seconds.