Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some questions about a custom driveshaft
ricostang
Stage 3
Post Some questions about a custom driveshaft
on: February 20, 2012, 20:29

I'm looking into custom driveshafts since they're cheaper and I am trying to balance my budget to buy some other stuff like gears. What I'm wondering is if anyone has the stock measurements from a driveshaft.

I'm thinking of going with Precision Shaft Technologies. Their selections can be found here - http://www.pstds.com/custom_driveshafts.htm

If you click on the purchase link for any of them, it gives you the required dimensions. If anyone has these, I'd greatly appreciate them posting it. I'm also in question of the weight of mild steel vs aluminum. I've looked into it, but I don't know how it would compare with a driveshaft. The lighter the better is of course how I want to go.

Ltngdrvr
Post Re: Some questions about a custom driveshaft
on: February 20, 2012, 21:22

Another member already talked to those guys about a custom shaft, and I don't remember for sure, but it was either going to be ridiculously expensive or they wouldn't even consider doing one, one or the other.

FiK
Stage 4
on: February 20, 2012, 23:07

If I recall correctly, it was ridiculously expensive.

Ltngdrvr
on: February 20, 2012, 23:33

If I recall correctly, it was ridiculously expensive.

I think you're right, like $950 or something.

It was Scott, Regalt87, if you want to shoot him a PM and ask.

Ltngdrvr
on: February 20, 2012, 23:39

I'm still thinking about a take-out GT shaft, getting it modified to fit the V6.

You'd need the companion flange for the pinion on the rear and would have to get the front shaft lengthened. It would be heavy but would be plenty stout and is good enough for at least 155 mph which is the GT limiter setting.

SC_Kona_Bl-
ue
Administrator
on: February 21, 2012, 10:19

Shaftmasters is redesigning their unit. I think they may be reselling them again. It has a longer yoke. It was tested to 4000ft lbs of torque.

I will be publishing an article soon on their new shaft and why the old ones broke. It was due to the automatic transmission not the shaft itself.

I will be sending mine to them to get retrofitted. I really like Rob at Shaftmasters. They are good guys and I recommend supporting them.

- If you like an article, click it!

ricostang
Stage 3
on: February 21, 2012, 14:46

I was hoping shaftmasters would be remaking it! I'd rather have theirs.

regalt87
Stage 4
on: February 21, 2012, 19:55

Yes I did check precision Shaft Technologies and there shaft was expensive. That $950 sounds familure. The research I did seemed to indicate they had a quality product but still over my budget. I can't say enough about how good Shaftmasters customer service is. Dealing with them was like a blast from the past. It's very hard to find support and service like that these days and I believe supporting a company that stands behind there product and is prompt to follow up on customer purchases is worth waiting on. The 2011 V6 car was uncharted territory. It sounds like they have identified the needed correction or re- design and I am sure it will be a quality product. You might contact them and see when they will be releasing the V6 Shaft again.

ricostang
Stage 3
on: February 23, 2012, 18:43

I think I'll be doing that. I want to see if the release date is close. I can't wait to get this stupid stock one out.

regalt87
Stage 4
on: February 24, 2012, 22:40

Shaft masters now has a revised shaft available.

Pages: [1]

Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.498 seconds.