2011 Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)
As part of Ford Motor Company’s commitment to increase product quality, build vehicles that are environmentally green, and use innovative technology, we are pleased to announce the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system. This system will be available on over 90% of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold. The system uses information from the Powertrain Control Module and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval. The interval is calculated based upon the vehicle operating conditions.
The system uses the Message Center to display when the oil needs to be changed:
- “ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON” at 5% oil life remaining
- “OIL CHANGE REQUIRED” at 0% oil life remaining
The IOLM algorithm uses a predetermined number of engine revolutions it would take to achieve 10,000 miles and has a timer up to one year. The IOLM then uses inputs from the Powertrain Control Module to adjust the oil change interval according to the operating conditions under which the vehicle is driven. Some examples of conditions that would accelerate the oil change interval are: trailer towing, short distance driving in colder or hotter temperatures, or the use of E85 fuel in Flex Fuel Vehicles
Customers can expect the service interval to be as follows:
- Up to 10,000 miles: Normal commuting with highway driving
- 5,000 to 7,500 miles: Trailer towing or driving with high loads
- 3,000 to 5,000 miles: Short trip usage, driving in extreme cold or hot temperatures
The IOLM must be reset after each oil change/service interval to initiate a new interval cycle, as indicated in the Owner Guide.
Note: Review the Special Operating Conditions section of the Scheduled Maintenance Chapter for exceptions.
- If you have questions regarding the operation of the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) systems, please refer to the scheduled maintenance section in the Owner Guide or the Workshop Manual.
- Click here to download the IOLM FAQ document.
1. Press and release the SETUP control to display OIL LIFE.
2. Press and hold the RESET control for 2 seconds and release.